William Clifford Jones was from the Rhondda Valley and attended LLandovery College before coming to Clare in 1933 "to read law and play rugby". He was awarded three Blues and thirteen Caps for Wales whom he captained in 1938.
After leaving Clare he qualified as a solicitor.
During the Second World War he served as a major with the Control Commission.
He later gave up being a lawyer and joined his father in the family business.
He came back to Welsh rugby in 1957 as a selector, was chairman of the committee for a period, and served until 1978.
He played a significant part in the establishment of the national coaching scheme and the squad training system which underpinned the success of the Welsh team in the late 1960s and the 70s.
In 1979 he was awarded the OBE.1980-81 was President of the Welsh Rugby Union.
Obituary: The Clare Association Annual, 1990-91, pg. 72