College purchased these properties in 1961; in 1889 an auction was held of various properties in Cambridge owned by Mr. Stanley, miller of Newnham Mill, including the Maltings and seven properties (although only five shown on the plan!); they were purchas
Most recent papers relating to commercial properties owned by the College are now housed with Mills & Reeve or Bidwells to allow easy access to paper for regular negotiations
Land originally classed as no. 183
This property in Caldecote was originally known as Great Close but after being owned by the Gregory family between 1761 and 1815 it became known as Gregory's farm. The College bought it from the Gregory's in 1815. It was later.combined with Deans and Peck
Chawston in Roxton, Eaton Socon and Wyboston (Elizabeth Worliche), 1555 (sold, 1920)
Described by J. R. Wardale as the only volume to survive the fire in the Master's Lodge and Muniment Room in 1521.
Later used for Castle House, (ref 222) see BC081
Note: the property was bequeathed to Clare College by Mark Anthony Stephenson (admitted 1767, Fellow 1773 - 1790)
Apparently John Houghton sometimes spelt his name as Horton, according to Anthony Howe, editor of letters of Richard Cobden. Information provided as part of request, 2006
Most of estate sold, 1944; remainder now part of site of Castle House{1081} ;also former garages (222); Whole or part still owned by College