Showing 486 results

Authority record
Corporate body · c. 1866 - 1970

Thomas Stearn (1825-1905), a Cambridge tailor, founded this firm of photographers around 1866. Later he ran the firm with his wife Eliza trading as 'Mr and Mrs Stearn'. Later still he took his sons Frank b:1856, Harry Cotterell b:1860, and Walter James b:1865 into the business, trading as Messrs Stearn and later as Stearn and Sons.
After Thomas died the business was run by his sons. Harry Cotterell Stearn died in 1906. Another son, Gilbert Stearn b:1866, was involved in the business at least until 1917. Walter James Stearn died in 1929. Thomas's niece, Edith was also involved with the firm.

Stearn’s operated throughout its history from 72 Bridge Street Cambridge, narrowly avoiding the loss of their premises in a fire in their darkroom in 1898. From 1908 to 1920 local directories also listed premises at Brunswick Terrace Cambridge. At some point between 1939 and 1943 the firm was taken over by A. H. Leach and Son, a well established and growing photo processing business based at Brighouse in Yorkshire.

A new limited company, Stearn and Sons (Cambridge) Ltd, was formed in April 1943, neither the shareholders not the Directors were from the Stearn family. During the period 1942 to 1950 the firm’s processing work was done by A. H. Leach in Brighouse. In 1966 A. H. Leach was taken over by an advertising company, Hunting Surveys, until the Leach family bought the business back from them in 1999. From 1968 the new company, Stearn and Sons (Cambridge) Ltd, did not trade on their own account but acted as agents of their holding companies. In 1970 the Cambridge firm joined Eaden Lilley Photographers.

Stearn and Son took most of the rowing photos until the late 1960's when they joined Eaden Lilley Photographers. Cambridge Central Library have a lot of the original negatives from 1942-1950. The copyright of the photos taken by Eaden Lilley has now passed to Lafayette Photography.

Person

Master of Clare College (1815-1856).

Elected to a Fellowship in 1799.
Presented to the College living at Litlington in 1812.
May 1815 promoted to the combined livings of Fornham All Saints and Westley. He resigned from these livings upon his election as Master in July 1815.

He married the daughter of the Rev. T.V. Gould, his predecessor in the living at Westley.

Person · c. 1690 - 16 September 1762

Master of Clare College (1736-1762).

Born in Grantham, Lincs.
Admitted sizar at Clare on 3 July 1708 and matriculated in 1708.
B.A. 1711/2
M.A. 1715
D.D. 1728
Fellow, 1714
Taxor, 1720
Master of Clare, 1736-62 .
Vice-Chancellor, 1736-7, and 1751-2.
Ordained deacon (London) on 19 December 1714; priest (Ely) 23 September 1716.
Vicar of Madingley, Cambridgeshire , 1721-30 .
Vicar of Everton, Bedfordshire , 1730-2 .
Vicar of St Mary Abbots, Kensington, Middlesex , 1731-62 .
Prebend of St Paul's, London, 1732-62 .
Sub-dean of York, 1750-62 .
Died in College, 16 September 1762.
Left his fortune for the building of the College Chapel.