Affichage de 486 résultats

Notice d'autorité
Personne · 6 March 1947 - present

Master of Clare College, Cambridge, 2003 - 2014

Born on 6 March 1947, and attended Cotham Grammar School in Bristol. He studied History at Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge, B.A. in 1968 and M.A. in 1971.
1974 - Ph.D. in American Studies from the University of Hull.
1999 - Hull awarded him an honorary D. Litt.

1971 - 1991 lecturer in the History Department of Newcastle University
1988 - 2002 and 2005 - 2008 - served on the Cambridge University Council
1992 - moved to the University of Cambridge, having been appointed Paul Mellon Professor of American History
2001 - 2002 - chaired its audit committee

Since 2004 he has been the chairman of Cambridge Assessment
2014 - he retired from Cambridge and took up a post as Professor of American History at Northumbria University in Newcastle upon Tyne

Personne · 21 November 1875 – 5 April 1960

Born in Blackheath, the son of J.M. Burnup.
Educated at Malvern College where he captained the school cricket and racquets teams.

Matriculated from Clare College in Michaelmas 1894. B.A. 1898
Cricket ‘blue’, 1896, 1897, 1898 (leading run scorer in 1896 and 1898)
Football ‘blue’ 1895, 1896, 1897, 1898

1894 – 1901 - Played 79 matches for Corinthian FC scoring 28 times. In April 1896, whilst at Cambridge, he was selected to represent England against Scotland.

1896, whilst at Cambridge, he made his Kent County Cricket Club debut and played regularly for the county until 1907. He scored over 1,000 runs in a season for Kent eight times and made 157 first-class appearances for the side. In 1896 he became the first Kent batsman to score a century before lunch in Kent.
He made 102 consecutive County Championship appearances for Kent between 1899 and 1903, becoming the first man to play in over 100 consecutive Championship matches for the county. He captained Kent for one season in 1903. In that year he was named Wisden’s Cricketer of the Year.

Personne · 20 February 1878 - 15 August 1912

Born in Goginan, Cardiganshire and educated at Lewis School Pengam and the University of Wales, Aberystwth.
Matriculated at Clare in 1897 to study Natural Sciences.
1899 BA and 1903 MA.

1 August 1912 married Muriel Gwendolen Edwards, a colleague and keen climber. She was the first woman to be elected a Fellow of the University of Wales.

1901 - demonstrator to the Jacksonian Professor of Natural Philosophy, Sir James Dewar.
1902 became a Fellow of Clare College and then a lecturer.

1907 - became a keen climber after receiving some tuition in Snowdonia.
1909 - member of the Alpine Club.

Jones and his wife were killed in an accident on their honeymoon in Switzerland, while climbing the Aiguille Rouge de Peuterey 2941m a subpeak of Aiguille Noire de Peuterey on 15 August 1912 in Italy. Their guide, Julius Truffer, slipped and fell on Jones, and all three dropped nearly 1,000 feet to the Fresnay Glacier.

Personne · 4 February 1569 - 21 December 1620

Master of Clare College, Cambridge, 1612-1620

Probably son of Christopher Scott of Bamston, Essex. Baptised there 4 February 1569.
Matriculated sizar from Pembroke, Michaelmas 1588.
B.A. 1591-2; M.A. from Clare, 1595; D.D. 1613.

Fellow of Clare.
1612-1620 Master of Clare.
1619-1620 Vice-Chancellor.

Subalmoner to the King.
1615-1620 Dean of Rochester.

21 December 1620 died in London and is buried at Bamston, Essex.

Personne · 27 July 1909 - unknown

Rhoda Bass took over as Lodging House Keeper of Braeside in 1958 until 1983 but continued to live there until 1990 when her husband Arthur Bass died. Arthur Bass had worked in the SCR/Pantry for 8yrs (1975 -83). Many of her "Old Boys" as she called them kept in touch over the years. Her daughter Billie (Hostel keeper at the Colony 1978, Senior Housekeeper, 1986 - 2001) and her husband Peter Allinson (Clare Fellow's Butler from 1982 and under Butler from 1976) have also worked for Clare.

Stearn & Sons (Cambridge) Ltd
Collectivité · c. 1866 - 1970

Thomas Stearn (1825-1905), a Cambridge tailor, founded this firm of photographers around 1866. Later he ran the firm with his wife Eliza trading as 'Mr and Mrs Stearn'. Later still he took his sons Frank b:1856, Harry Cotterell b:1860, and Walter James b:1865 into the business, trading as Messrs Stearn and later as Stearn and Sons.
After Thomas died the business was run by his sons. Harry Cotterell Stearn died in 1906. Another son, Gilbert Stearn b:1866, was involved in the business at least until 1917. Walter James Stearn died in 1929. Thomas's niece, Edith was also involved with the firm.

Stearn’s operated throughout its history from 72 Bridge Street Cambridge, narrowly avoiding the loss of their premises in a fire in their darkroom in 1898. From 1908 to 1920 local directories also listed premises at Brunswick Terrace Cambridge. At some point between 1939 and 1943 the firm was taken over by A. H. Leach and Son, a well established and growing photo processing business based at Brighouse in Yorkshire.

A new limited company, Stearn and Sons (Cambridge) Ltd, was formed in April 1943, neither the shareholders not the Directors were from the Stearn family. During the period 1942 to 1950 the firm’s processing work was done by A. H. Leach in Brighouse. In 1966 A. H. Leach was taken over by an advertising company, Hunting Surveys, until the Leach family bought the business back from them in 1999. From 1968 the new company, Stearn and Sons (Cambridge) Ltd, did not trade on their own account but acted as agents of their holding companies. In 1970 the Cambridge firm joined Eaden Lilley Photographers.

Stearn and Son took most of the rowing photos until the late 1960's when they joined Eaden Lilley Photographers. Cambridge Central Library have a lot of the original negatives from 1942-1950. The copyright of the photos taken by Eaden Lilley has now passed to Lafayette Photography.