Affichage de 486 résultats

Notice d'autorité
Personne · 1602-1686

Born at Kirkthorpe, Yorkshire, and was baptised on 27 December 1602 in the parish church at Wakefield. He was the son of Francis Oley, clergyman, and his wife, Mary Watterhouse.

In 1607 Oley entered Wakefield grammar school.
In 1617 he was admitted to Clare College as a Cave Scholar.
Graduated BA in 1621.
Having been elected a probationer fellow of the foundation of Lady Clare at the college on 28 November 1623, he proceeded MA in 1625 and was elected a senior fellow in 1627.

In 1633 he was appointed to the college living of Great Gransden, Huntingdonshire, which he held for the rest of his life, but due to his duties as a Fellow he continued to live in Cambridge for many years.

In 1634–5 he served as taxor (price regulator), for the university, and in 1635–6 as proctor.
He started the rebuilding of Clare College on 19 May 1638, although work was not finished until 1715.

Oley was a Royalist and on 8 April 1644 he was ejected from his Fellowship by Edward Montagu, 2nd Earl of Manchester on the grounds of non-residence in Cambridge and failure to appear before the commission of visitors. All his personal and landed property was confiscated and he was forced to leave Great Gransden.

During the late 1640s he led a wandering and impoverished life.
In 1643 and 1646 he was in Oxford.
During the sieges of Pontefract in 1644 and 1645 he preached to the Royalist garrison defending the castle.
By 1647 he had been sequestered from the impropriate rectory of Warmfield, Yorkshire, which his father had resigned in 1643.
Having helped Sir Marmaduke Langdale to escape in 1648 from prison and a death sentence, the following year Oley had to compound for delinquency in assisting the forces against parliament, and was fined £30. A further £50 was added in 1652, in lieu of which he was required to settle £5 a year on the minister of Warmfield.

In 1659 Oley returned to Great Gransden and on 9 July 1660 he was restored to his Fellowship at Clare College by order of the same Earl of Manchester.

On 3 August 1660 he was presented to the third prebendal stall of Worcester Cathedral.

In 1663 he left his Fellowship.

In 1664 he was the leading benefactor of the brick school house at Gransden, which he endowed with £20 a year. He built brick houses for six poor people on his own freehold land, leasing them for one thousand years to the churchwardens for the time being at a peppercorn rent, and he erected a vicarage.

He had given a pulpit to Gransden church in the first months of his incumbency in 1633 and in 1681 he provided wainscot seats for the chancel.

On 8 November 1679 he was nominated to the archdeaconry of Ely, but the following year he resigned this preferment because of doubts of his ability to discharge its duties. However, he retained the stall at Worcester until his death.

Oley died at Great Gransden on 20 February 1686, and in accordance with his will was buried there on the night of 22 February.

In his will he left 100 marks (£67) to Clare College for building a library, and £10 to the descendants of John Westley, the builder of the College.

A charity was set up in his name, with assets in Warmfield, Kirkthorpe, and Great Gransden, overseen by the fellows of Clare College and still operating with limited resources in the late twentieth century.

Personne · 28 October 1869 - 12 July 1931

Alfred Henry Chaytor was born on 28 October 1869 and was the second son of John Clervaux Chaytor and Emma Fearon. School: Durham.
Admitted to Clare on 8 October 1888
Law Tripos Pt I, 1st Class, 1890; Pt II, 1st Class, 1892
B.A. and LL.B. 1892; Chancellor's Medal for English Law, 1892; M.A. 1896.
Fellow, 1894.
Barrister (Inner Temple), 1894.
During the First World War he gained the rank of Captain in the service of the 8th City of London Regiment and was invalided home in 1916.
K.C., 1914.
Retired from the Bar, 1916.

He lived at Clervaux Castle, Croft, Yorkshire, England, and at Iridge Place, Sussex, England.
J.P. for the N. Riding and Sussex.
He married Dorothy Elizabeth Burrell, daughter of Harry Percy Burrell, on 1 August 1899.
He was a skilful salmon fisher and wrote Letters to a Salmon Fisher's Sons; Essays Sporting and Serious; Post War Manners and Fashions, etc.

He died on 12 July 1931 at Croft.

Personne · Unknown - 10 March 1787

William Greaves was born in Rochdale, Lancs and was the son of William, of Gartside Hall, Lancashire.
He was admitted to Clare on 26 January 1719/20.
B.A. 1720/1. M.A. 1724
Fellow, 1722-42.

Admitted at Lincoln's Inn on 03 June 1724 and at the Inner Temple on 09 November 1727.
Commissary of the University, 1726-79.
Steward of the estates of Trinity College.

Married a daughter of Beaupré Bell.
Succeeded to his estates at Outwell, Norfolk, and assumed the name of Beaupré-Bell.

Died at Fulbourn, Cambridgeshire, 10 March 1787.

Personne · c. 1690 - 16 September 1762

Master of Clare College (1736-1762).

Born in Grantham, Lincs.
Admitted sizar at Clare on 3 July 1708 and matriculated in 1708.
B.A. 1711/2
M.A. 1715
D.D. 1728
Fellow, 1714
Taxor, 1720
Master of Clare, 1736-62 .
Vice-Chancellor, 1736-7, and 1751-2.
Ordained deacon (London) on 19 December 1714; priest (Ely) 23 September 1716.
Vicar of Madingley, Cambridgeshire , 1721-30 .
Vicar of Everton, Bedfordshire , 1730-2 .
Vicar of St Mary Abbots, Kensington, Middlesex , 1731-62 .
Prebend of St Paul's, London, 1732-62 .
Sub-dean of York, 1750-62 .
Died in College, 16 September 1762.
Left his fortune for the building of the College Chapel.

Personne · Unknown - 1713

Master of Clare College, 1678-1713

Born in Doncaster, Samuel Blyth was first admitted to Clare College as a sizar undergraduate in 1652.
He gained his BA in 1655 and was made a Fellow in 1658, later serving as College Master 1678-1713.
He was a considerable benefactor to the College.

Personne · c.1914 - 27 November 1990

William Clifford Jones was from the Rhondda Valley and attended LLandovery College before coming to Clare in 1933 "to read law and play rugby". He was awarded three Blues and thirteen Caps for Wales whom he captained in 1938.

After leaving Clare he qualified as a solicitor.
During the Second World War he served as a major with the Control Commission.
He later gave up being a lawyer and joined his father in the family business.

He came back to Welsh rugby in 1957 as a selector, was chairman of the committee for a period, and served until 1978.
He played a significant part in the establishment of the national coaching scheme and the squad training system which underpinned the success of the Welsh team in the late 1960s and the 70s.
In 1979 he was awarded the OBE.1980-81 was President of the Welsh Rugby Union.

Obituary: The Clare Association Annual, 1990-91, pg. 72

Hills & Saunders
1852 - unclear

Hills & Saunders was one of the leading Victorian photographic firms, started in 1860 as a partnership between Robert Hills, a hairdresser and wigmaker, and John Henry Saunders (1836–1890) [according to Wikipedia - the Hills & Saunders Website say they were formed in Oxfordshire in 1852].

They were social photographers with studios at different times in: London (society), Harrow, Eton, and Rugby, all locations of leading schools, Oxford and Cambridge, and Aldershot & Sandhurst (centres of the British army). They were successful, being appointed as photographers to members of the royal family, including the Prince of Wales and Princess Beatrice, and they were given a Royal Warrant as photographers to Queen Victoria in 1867; many of their photographs are still in the Royal Collection.

However, the network of branches did not remain united. The partnership of Robert Hills and John Henry Saunders was dissolved in 1889, although members of both families continued to operate local branches under the same name. Only the two main school branches, at Eton and Harrow, continued well into the 20th Century. Ultimately the Harrow business closed and the photo archive was acquired by the school, but the Eton business survived into the 21st century. In 2019 the historic company was acquired by its Oxfordshire based contemporary, Gillman & Soame, in order to preserve the extensive archives and ensure the future of the prestigious Victorian photographic studio. For further information and for copyright permission see: https://hillsandsaunders.co.uk/