Showing 486 results

Authority record
Clare College Cambridge
Corporate body · 1326-

In 1326, the University, under the Chancellorship of Richard de Badew, founded University Hall, two messuages in Milne Street being assigned as a residence for its scholars. Little is known of the new college, but within a decade of its foundation, the founder was forced to seek a patron to rebuild the college, possibly after a disastrous fire. It was presumably Badew’s connection with the Clares that he turned to Lady Elizabeth de Clare for assistance and she refounded it as Clare Hall, endowing it with the advowsons of Littlington in 1336 and Great Gransden and Duxford in 1346, and providing it with a set of statutes in 1356. Thus provision was made for a Master and 15 Scholars (later called Fellows) and also 10 poor scholars.
Thanks to multiple endowments, including land at Potton, Everton and Gamlingay, Clare’s wealth and size grew steadily until it was necessary to completely rebuild the college. After a long legal wrangle, land was acquired from King’s College and between 1638 and the early eighteenth century, the buildings that form Old Court were erected together with the bridge which was completed in 1640. Further substantial additions to the College were not required until the twentieth century, when Memorial Court, designed by Giles Gilbert Scott, built on the West side of the river, was opened in 1926 and extended later in the century. As admission numbers continued to rise, further extensions to College accommodation saw college property on Chesterton Lane consolidated into The Colony and St Regis Flats built on Chesterton Road.

Person · 28 March 1809 - 10 March 1874

Born on 28 March 1809, son of John of Brickenden Grange, Herts.

Admitted pensioner at Clare, 3 November 1827.
Matriculated Michaelmas 1828.
B.A. 1832; M.A. 1835.
18 October 1837 married Charlotte Cassandra (daughter of Henry Phillpotts, D.D., Bishop of Exeter).
Founder of the Cherry Scholarship, 1836.
Died 10 March 1874.

Person · 28 October 1869 - 12 July 1931

Alfred Henry Chaytor was born on 28 October 1869 and was the second son of John Clervaux Chaytor and Emma Fearon. School: Durham.
Admitted to Clare on 8 October 1888
Law Tripos Pt I, 1st Class, 1890; Pt II, 1st Class, 1892
B.A. and LL.B. 1892; Chancellor's Medal for English Law, 1892; M.A. 1896.
Fellow, 1894.
Barrister (Inner Temple), 1894.
During the First World War he gained the rank of Captain in the service of the 8th City of London Regiment and was invalided home in 1916.
K.C., 1914.
Retired from the Bar, 1916.

He lived at Clervaux Castle, Croft, Yorkshire, England, and at Iridge Place, Sussex, England.
J.P. for the N. Riding and Sussex.
He married Dorothy Elizabeth Burrell, daughter of Harry Percy Burrell, on 1 August 1899.
He was a skilful salmon fisher and wrote Letters to a Salmon Fisher's Sons; Essays Sporting and Serious; Post War Manners and Fashions, etc.

He died on 12 July 1931 at Croft.

Person · 1914-1941

Admitted to Clare College in 1936.
Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, killed in action and awarded the Victoria Cross.

Person · 21 November 1875 – 5 April 1960

Born in Blackheath, the son of J.M. Burnup.
Educated at Malvern College where he captained the school cricket and racquets teams.

Matriculated from Clare College in Michaelmas 1894. B.A. 1898
Cricket ‘blue’, 1896, 1897, 1898 (leading run scorer in 1896 and 1898)
Football ‘blue’ 1895, 1896, 1897, 1898

1894 – 1901 - Played 79 matches for Corinthian FC scoring 28 times. In April 1896, whilst at Cambridge, he was selected to represent England against Scotland.

1896, whilst at Cambridge, he made his Kent County Cricket Club debut and played regularly for the county until 1907. He scored over 1,000 runs in a season for Kent eight times and made 157 first-class appearances for the side. In 1896 he became the first Kent batsman to score a century before lunch in Kent.
He made 102 consecutive County Championship appearances for Kent between 1899 and 1903, becoming the first man to play in over 100 consecutive Championship matches for the county. He captained Kent for one season in 1903. In that year he was named Wisden’s Cricketer of the Year.